Swallowing a Tooth Filling: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally swallow a tooth filling, it is usually not dangerous, as it should pass safely through your digestive system. However, you should monitor your symptoms and contact your dentist and doctor if you have any complications or need a replacement.

A tooth filling is a type of dental restoration that repairs damage caused by tooth decay and prolongs the life of the tooth.

There are various types of tooth filling materials, such as gold, porcelain, silver amalgam, composite resin, and glass ionomer.

If you accidentally swallow a tooth filling, it is usually not dangerous, as it should pass safely through your digestive system.

This is because most tooth filling materials are inert and non-toxic, and do not react with the stomach acid or the intestinal lining.

However, some people may have allergic reactions to certain metals or components in the fillings, such as mercury, nickel, or beryllium.

These can cause symptoms such as itching, swelling, rash, or difficulty breathing.

It is quite uncommon to swallow a tooth filling, as they are usually firmly attached to the tooth structure.

However, some factors that can increase the risk of swallowing a filling include: eating hard or sticky foods, biting on something too hard, having a loose or broken filling, or having an impact injury to the mouth.

You can monitor your symptoms and stool for any signs of the filling or complications.

If you experience any severe pain, bleeding, vomiting, fever, or difficulty swallowing or breathing, you should seek medical attention immediately.

You should also contact your dentist as soon as possible to schedule a replacement for the missing filling.

Leaving the tooth exposed can cause sensitivity, infection, or further decay.

To avoid accidental swallowing of a tooth filling, you should follow good oral hygiene practices, such as brushing and flossing regularly, and visiting your dentist for check-ups and cleanings.

You should also avoid biting on hard objects, such as ice, pens, or nails, and be careful when eating foods that can dislodge or crack your fillings, such as nuts, popcorn, or candy.

If you notice any signs of a loose or damaged filling, such as a change in color, shape, or texture, you should inform your dentist right away.

Finally, remember, a tooth filling is a temporary solution to restore the function and appearance of your tooth.

It is not a permanent fix, and it may need to be replaced or repaired over time.

Therefore, it is important to take good care of your teeth and fillings, and seek professional help if you have any problems or concerns.

About the Author

Abdur Rahman Choudhury

Abdur Rahman Choudhury is a nutrition coach with over 7 years of experience in the field of nutrition.

He holds a Bachelor's (B.Sc.) and Master's (M.Sc.) degree in Biochemistry from The University of Burdwan, India. He was also involved with a research project about genetic variations in the CYP11A gene among PCOS and Metabolic Syndrome patients.

He has completed the following online courses: Stanford Introduction to Food and Health by Stanford University (US) through Coursera, Certificate in Nutrition from Fabulous Body Inc. (US), Lose Weight and Keep It Off certificate course from Harvard Medical School (US), and Nutrition and Disease Prevention by Taipei Medical University (Taiwan) through FutureLearn.

Abdur currently lives in India and keeps fit by weight training and eating mainly home-cooked meals.

Leave a Comment