Accidental Orbeez Eating: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally eat an Orbeez, you may choke or develop intestinal blockage or damage due to its superabsorbent polymer content.

Orbeez is a brand name for water beads, which are small, round beads made of water-absorbing polymer that grow to about 1 cm in diameter when soaked in water.

They are often used as decorations or toys and can be found in a variety of colors.

If you accidentally eat an Orbeez, you may experience choking or blockages in your digestive system.

This is because it contains superabsorbent polymers, typically containing acrylic acid, sodium hydroxide, and color additives.

Superabsorbent polymers can absorb and retain hundreds of times their weight in water within their structure, without dissolving.

This allows the beads to increase their size by 150-1500 times after exposure to water.

Superabsorbent polymers can cause serious and sometimes life-threatening intestinal damage if swallowed.

They can potentially block your esophagus, stomach, or intestines, and may even lead to intestinal perforations or infections.

In some cases, surgery may be required to remove the beads from your body.

It is quite uncommon to eat an Orbeez due to their slippery texture and lack of taste.

However, young children may mistake them for candy or food and swallow them without realizing the danger.

Therefore, it is important to supervise children when playing with Orbeez and keep them away from their mouth.

You can prevent accidental ingestion of Orbeez by storing them in a sealed container and labeling them clearly as non-edible items.

You can also educate your children about the potential hazards of swallowing Orbeez and other foreign objects.

If you suspect that you or someone else has swallowed an Orbeez, you should seek medical attention immediately and inform the doctor about what happened.

Finally, remember, Orbeez is a fun and colorful toy that can be used for various purposes, but it is not meant to be eaten.

Always use caution and common sense when handling Orbeez and enjoy them safely.

About the Author

Abdur Rahman Choudhury

Abdur Rahman Choudhury is a nutrition coach with over 7 years of experience in the field of nutrition.

He holds a Bachelor's (B.Sc.) and Master's (M.Sc.) degree in Biochemistry from The University of Burdwan, India. He was also involved with a research project about genetic variations in the CYP11A gene among PCOS and Metabolic Syndrome patients.

He has completed the following online courses: Stanford Introduction to Food and Health by Stanford University (US) through Coursera, Certificate in Nutrition from Fabulous Body Inc. (US), Lose Weight and Keep It Off certificate course from Harvard Medical School (US), and Nutrition and Disease Prevention by Taipei Medical University (Taiwan) through FutureLearn.

Abdur currently lives in India and keeps fit by weight training and eating mainly home-cooked meals.

Leave a Comment