Eating Lotion: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally eat lotion, you may experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, as lotion contains ingredients that are not meant to be ingested and can irritate your digestive system.

Lotion is a topical product that has moisturizing properties.

It can be applied to the skin to nourish it and protect it from dryness, chapping, or irritation.

Lotions are an absolute must-have for all skincare routines.

A lotion will keep your skin feeling soft, smooth, and hydrated.

If you accidentally eat lotion, you may experience gastrointestinal distress, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

This is because it contains ingredients that are not meant to be ingested, such as glycerin, hyaluronic acid, sorbitol, urea, alpha-hydroxy acids, salicylic acid, and hydroquinone.

These ingredients can be difficult to digest, and the thick, viscous texture of lotion can make it hard for your stomach to break it down.

Glycerin is a humectant that draws water from the inner layers of the skin to the surface.

It also helps exfoliate the skin by breaking down the bonds between dead cells.

However, when eaten, glycerin can cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, as it draws water from the body into the intestines.

Hyaluronic acid is another humectant that can hydrate all skin types without being oily.

It is naturally produced in the body and helps maintain the elasticity and firmness of the skin.

However, when eaten, hyaluronic acid can cause dryness and irritation in the mouth and throat, as it absorbs moisture from the mucous membranes.

Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol that is used as an artificial sweetener and a humectant.

It also has antibacterial properties and can help prevent tooth decay.

However, when eaten, sorbitol can cause diarrhea, bloating, and gas, as it is poorly absorbed by the intestines and acts as a laxative.

Urea is a component of the natural moisturizing factor that is produced by the skin.

It is a powerful exfoliant and humectant that can help soften and smooth the skin.

However, when eaten, urea can cause irritation and inflammation in the mouth, esophagus, and stomach, as it is a nitrogenous waste product that is normally excreted by the kidneys.

Alpha-hydroxy acids are a group of compounds derived from foods like citrus, sugar cane, and apples.

They can help improve the texture and color of the skin by removing the outer layer of dead cells and stimulating collagen production.

However, when eaten, alpha-hydroxy acids can cause acid reflux, heartburn, and ulcers, as they lower the pH of the stomach and irritate the lining.

Salicylic acid is a beta-hydroxy acid that can help treat acne, warts, and psoriasis by penetrating the oil-laden hair follicles and dissolving the plugs of dead skin cells and sebum.

However, when eaten, salicylic acid can cause poisoning, which can manifest as nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, tinnitus, hyperventilation, and confusion.

Hydroquinone is a bleaching agent that can help lighten dark spots and hyperpigmentation on the skin by inhibiting the enzyme that produces melanin, the pigment that gives color to the skin.

However, when eaten, hydroquinone can cause toxicity, which can manifest as nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, convulsions, coma, and death.

It is quite uncommon to eat lotion due to its unpleasant taste and smell.

However, some people may do it out of curiosity, boredom, or compulsion.

Children and pets may also accidentally ingest lotion if they have access to it.

You can prevent serious complications by seeking medical help right away if you eat lotion.

Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a doctor or a poison control center.

Drink plenty of water or milk to dilute the lotion and flush it out of your system.

Depending on the amount and type of lotion ingested, you may need further treatment, such as activated charcoal, gastric lavage, or antidotes.

To avoid accidental eating of lotion, keep it out of reach of children and pets.

Store it in a cool, dry place away from food and beverages.

Do not apply lotion near your mouth or eyes.

Wash your hands thoroughly after using lotion.

Read the label and follow the directions for use and storage of lotion.

Finally, remember, lotion is a skin care product that is meant to be applied externally, not internally.

Eating lotion can cause serious harm to your health and should be avoided at all costs.

Leave a Comment