Eating Concrete: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally ate concrete, you may suffer from choking, stomach irritation, intestinal blockage, internal bleeding, or poisoning, depending on the amount and type of concrete you ingested.

Concrete is a building material made from a mixture of broken stone or gravel, sand, cement, and water, which can be spread or poured into moulds and forms a hard mass resembling stone on hardening.

If you accidentally eat concrete, you may experience serious health problems, such as choking, stomach irritation, intestinal blockage, internal bleeding, or poisoning.

This is because it contains cement, sand, gravel, and water, as well as other additives like epoxies, silicates, and solvents.

Cement is a powdery substance that reacts with water and forms a hard and solid material that can damage the digestive tract.

Sand and gravel are hard and abrasive particles that can cause physical injury to the mouth, throat, and intestines.

Water is harmless, but it can increase the volume and weight of the concrete.

Other additives may have toxic or corrosive effects on the body, depending on their chemical composition and concentration.

It is quite uncommon to eat concrete due to its unpleasant taste, texture, and appearance.

However, some people may ingest concrete accidentally, such as children, workers, or animals, or intentionally, such as people with pica, a disorder that causes an appetite for non-food items.

You should seek medical attention immediately if you suspect you have eaten concrete.

A doctor can assess the situation and provide the appropriate treatment.

If the concrete is blocking the digestive tract, the doctor may need to perform endoscopy or surgery to remove it.

If the concrete is causing poisoning, the doctor may need to administer antidotes or supportive care.

To avoid accidental eating of concrete, you should keep it away from children, pets, and people with pica.

You should also wear protective equipment, such as gloves and masks, when handling concrete, and wash your hands thoroughly after working with it.

You should also store concrete in a safe and dry place, away from food and drinks.

Finally, remember, concrete is a useful and durable material for construction, but it is not edible and can be very dangerous if swallowed.

Do not eat concrete under any circumstances, and contact a doctor if you do.

About the Author

Abdur Rahman Choudhury

Abdur Rahman Choudhury is a nutrition coach with over 7 years of experience in the field of nutrition.

He holds a Bachelor's (B.Sc.) and Master's (M.Sc.) degree in Biochemistry from The University of Burdwan, India. He was also involved with a research project about genetic variations in the CYP11A gene among PCOS and Metabolic Syndrome patients.

He has completed the following online courses: Stanford Introduction to Food and Health by Stanford University (US) through Coursera, Certificate in Nutrition from Fabulous Body Inc. (US), Lose Weight and Keep It Off certificate course from Harvard Medical School (US), and Nutrition and Disease Prevention by Taipei Medical University (Taiwan) through FutureLearn.

Abdur currently lives in India and keeps fit by weight training and eating mainly home-cooked meals.

Leave a Comment