Drinking Black Mold: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally drink black mold, you may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and other digestive problems, as black mold can contain toxic substances called mycotoxins.

Black mold is a type of fungus that has a dark green or black appearance.

It can grow on moist and organic materials, such as wood, paper, and drywall.

Black mold can produce spores and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that can cause allergic reactions or irritation in some people.

If you accidentally drink black mold, you may experience symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and loss of appetite.

This is because black mold can contain mycotoxins, which are toxic substances that can harm your digestive system.

Mycotoxins can also affect your nervous system, respiratory system, immune system, and skin, but these effects are more likely to occur from eating large amounts of moldy food rather than drinking moldy water.

It is quite uncommon to drink black mold, as it usually grows on solid surfaces rather than in liquids.

However, if you have a water leak or a damp environment in your home, black mold may contaminate your water supply or your drinking containers.

You can prevent this by fixing any leaks, keeping your home dry and well-ventilated, and cleaning your water pipes and filters regularly.

If you drink black mold and have any symptoms, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible.

Your doctor may prescribe antifungal medications or other treatments to help you recover.

You should also discard any moldy water or containers and disinfect the affected area.

To avoid accidentally drinking black mold, you should always check the color, smell, and taste of your water before drinking it.

If you notice any signs of mold, such as black specks, musty odor, or bitter flavor, do not drink the water and report the problem to your water provider or landlord.

You should also store your water in clean and dry containers and replace them regularly.

Finally, remember, black mold is not usually dangerous, but it can cause unpleasant symptoms if you drink it.

Therefore, you should always be careful about the quality of your water and take steps to prevent mold growth in your home.

About the Author

Abdur Rahman Choudhury

Abdur Rahman Choudhury is a nutrition coach with over 7 years of experience in the field of nutrition.

He holds a Bachelor's (B.Sc.) and Master's (M.Sc.) degree in Biochemistry from The University of Burdwan, India. He was also involved with a research project about genetic variations in the CYP11A gene among PCOS and Metabolic Syndrome patients.

He has completed the following online courses: Stanford Introduction to Food and Health by Stanford University (US) through Coursera, Certificate in Nutrition from Fabulous Body Inc. (US), Lose Weight and Keep It Off certificate course from Harvard Medical School (US), and Nutrition and Disease Prevention by Taipei Medical University (Taiwan) through FutureLearn.

Abdur currently lives in India and keeps fit by weight training and eating mainly home-cooked meals.

Leave a Comment