Bad Mozzarella Cheese Eating: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally eat bad mozzarella cheese, you could get food poisoning due to the high lactose levels and lactic acid in the cheese.

Mozzarella cheese is a soft cheese made of cow’s milk.

It is of Italian origin and is used to make pizza, calzone, baked ziti and countless other well-known dishes.

Mozzarella cheese is a good source of calcium, protein, and vitamin A, but it can also spoil quickly if not stored properly.

If you accidentally eat bad mozzarella cheese, you could get food poisoning.

This is because mozzarella cheese is a dairy product with high lactose levels.

When the lactose in milk breaks down, it produces lactic acid. This can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

In severe cases, it can also lead to dehydration and even death.

Lactic acid can also make the cheese smell sour or ammonia-like, and change its color and texture.

Fresh mozzarella cheese should be white or slightly off-white, smell clean and slightly tangy, and have a soft, springy texture.

If you see spots of mold or any discoloration (like a pink, blue, or green hue), or if the cheese feels slimy or excessively hard, that’s a pretty clear signal that your mozzarella has gone bad.

It is quite common to eat bad mozzarella cheese due to its popularity and short shelf life.

Mozzarella cheese can last for about two weeks in the refrigerator if unopened, and for about five days after opening.

However, this can vary depending on the type of mozzarella cheese, the packaging, and the storage conditions.

You can prevent food poisoning by checking the expiration date of the cheese before buying or eating it.

Storing them in an airtight container or wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap or foil in the refrigerator. You can freeze mozzarella cheese for up to six months to extend its shelf life.

However, freezing may affect the texture and flavor of the cheese.

If you do eat bad mozzarella cheese and experience symptoms of food poisoning, you should drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration, and seek medical attention if the symptoms are severe or persist for more than 24 hours.

Finally, remember, mozzarella cheese is a delicious and nutritious ingredient that can enhance many dishes, but it can also go bad quickly and cause food poisoning if not handled properly.

So always be careful and enjoy it while it’s fresh.

Leave a Comment