Swallowing Dental Cement: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally swallow some dental cement, it may cause irritation, burns, or obstruction in your digestive system. You should drink some water or milk and seek medical help if you have any severe symptoms.

Dental cement is an agent that dentists use to secure a tooth restoration, such as a crown, bridge, or filling, to your damaged teeth.

Dental cement can also be used to build up the tooth itself, for example to repair a small chip.

Dental cement comes in different types, such as zinc phosphate, polycarboxylate, glass ionomer, and resin.

If you accidentally swallow some dental cement, it may cause some irritation or discomfort in your mouth, throat, or stomach.

This is because dental cement contains various chemicals, such as phosphoric acid, polyacrylic acid, fluoroaluminosilicate glass, and methacrylate resin.

These chemicals can cause burns, inflammation, or allergic reactions in some people.

Dental cement can also harden in your gastrointestinal tract and cause obstruction or perforation.

It is quite uncommon to swallow dental cement, as it is usually applied carefully by a dentist and set quickly.

However, if you are having a dental procedure that involves dental cement, you should avoid eating, drinking, or rinsing your mouth until the cement is fully cured.

You should also follow the instructions of your dentist and report any problems or symptoms that you may experience.

You can try to drink some water or milk to dilute the dental cement and ease the irritation.

If you have any severe pain, difficulty swallowing, vomiting, or bleeding, you should seek medical attention immediately.

You may need to have an endoscopy or surgery to remove the dental cement from your body.

To avoid accidentally swallowing dental cement, you should always visit a qualified and experienced dentist for your dental needs.

You should also avoid using any over-the-counter or homemade dental cement products, as they may not be safe or effective.

Dental cement is not meant to be ingested and can cause serious complications if swallowed.

Finally, remember, dental cement is a useful material for dental restoration, but it can be harmful if swallowed.

You should always be careful and cautious when dealing with dental cement and consult your dentist if you have any concerns.

Leave a Comment