Accidental Lighter Fluid Drinking: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally drink lighter fluid, you may suffer from serious burns, bleeding, breathing problems, shock, coma, and death.

Lighter fluid is a flammable liquid found in cigarette lighters and other types of lighters.

It is composed of highly flammable liquids and vapors that can easily be ignited by a spark or flame.

Lighter fluid is also known as lighter fuel, lighter liquid, or lighter oil.

If you accidentally drink lighter fluid, you may experience serious symptoms such as burns in your mouth, throat, and stomach; vomiting blood; breathing difficulty; chest pain; low blood pressure; coma; and even death.

This is because it contains hydrocarbons, such as benzene, butane, hexamine, lacolene, naptha, and propane.

Hydrocarbons are derived from crude oil and are highly flammable.

Hydrocarbons can damage your tissues and organs by causing chemical burns, inflammation, and oxygen deprivation.

They can also interfere with your nervous system and cause seizures, confusion, and hallucinations.

It is quite uncommon to drink lighter fluid due to its strong smell and taste.

However, some people may ingest it accidentally or intentionally for various reasons, such as curiosity, intoxication, or self-harm.

You should seek medical attention immediately if you or someone you know has swallowed lighter fluid.

Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a health care provider or poison control center.

If the lighter fluid is on the skin or in the eyes, flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes.

If the person breathed in fumes of the lighter fluid, move them to fresh air right away.

To avoid accidental drinking of lighter fluid, you should store it in a safe place away from children and pets.

You should also label it clearly and keep it in its original container.

Do not use it near open flames or heat sources. Do not smoke while handling it or after filling your lighter.

Finally, remember, lighter fluid is a dangerous substance that can cause severe harm if ingested.

You should always use it with caution and follow the instructions on the label.

Leave a Comment