Drinking Cologne: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally drink cologne, you may suffer from alcohol poisoning, chemical irritation, or allergic reactions, depending on the amount and ingredients of the cologne.

Cologne is a diluted form of perfume that was first made in Cologne, Germany back in 1709 by Giovanni Maria Farina.

It is composed of water, alcohol and fragrance, which are derived from natural or synthetic materials.

Cologne is usually sold as a fragrant spray, an after shave or a body splash.

If you accidentally drink cologne, you may experience nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, headache, or even coma.

This is because it contains ethanol alcohol, which is a toxic substance that can affect your central nervous system and cause intoxication.

Ethanol alcohol can also irritate your stomach and damage your liver and kidneys if consumed in large amounts.

Cologne also contains various fragrance ingredients, some of which are known carcinogens, allergens, or hormone disruptors.

For example, benzyl acetate, which is a common ingredient in floral scents, can cause eye and lung irritation and increase the risk of cancer.

Camphor, which is used to create a cooling effect, can cause dizziness, confusion, nausea, muscle twitching, and convulsions.

Ethyl acetate, which is used as a solvent, can cause eye and respiratory irritation.

It is quite uncommon to drink cologne, as most people are aware of its harmful effects and unpleasant taste.

However, some people may drink cologne intentionally as a substitute for alcoholic beverages, or accidentally as a result of confusion or curiosity.

You should not drink cologne under any circumstances, as it can pose serious health risks.

If you or someone you know has ingested cologne, you should seek medical attention immediately and call a poison control center.

You may need to induce vomiting, receive intravenous fluids, or undergo gastric lavage to remove the cologne from your system.

To avoid accidental drinking of cologne, you should always store it in a cool and dark place with a closed lid, away from children and pets.

You should also label the bottle clearly and never transfer the cologne to another container that may be mistaken for a drink.

Finally, remember, cologne is meant to be applied on your skin, not ingested.

It can enhance your appearance and mood, but it can also harm your health if misused.

Use cologne sparingly and responsibly, and enjoy its benefits without risking its dangers.

About the Author

Abdur Rahman Choudhury

Abdur Rahman Choudhury is a nutrition coach with over 7 years of experience in the field of nutrition.

He holds a Bachelor's (B.Sc.) and Master's (M.Sc.) degree in Biochemistry from The University of Burdwan, India. He was also involved with a research project about genetic variations in the CYP11A gene among PCOS and Metabolic Syndrome patients.

He has completed the following online courses: Stanford Introduction to Food and Health by Stanford University (US) through Coursera, Certificate in Nutrition from Fabulous Body Inc. (US), Lose Weight and Keep It Off certificate course from Harvard Medical School (US), and Nutrition and Disease Prevention by Taipei Medical University (Taiwan) through FutureLearn.

Abdur currently lives in India and keeps fit by weight training and eating mainly home-cooked meals.

Leave a Comment