Accidentally Eating Maggot: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally eat maggots, you may get sick from bacterial poisoning or intestinal myiasis, which are infections or infestations caused by the maggots or the bacteria they carry.

Maggots are the larvae of the common housefly.

They have soft, white or cream bodies and no legs.

They usually feed on decaying organic matter, such as spoiled food and animal waste.

If you accidentally eat maggots, you may get sick from bacterial poisoning or intestinal myiasis.

Bacterial poisoning occurs when the maggots or the food they infested are contaminated with harmful bacteria, such as Salmonella or E. coli.

These bacteria can cause symptoms such as abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever.

Intestinal myiasis happens when the maggots survive in your stomach or intestines and feed on your tissues.

This can cause tissue damage, inflammation, and pain.

This is because maggots can carry bacteria from the places they breed, such as human or animal feces, garbage, or rotting flesh.

These bacteria can infect you when you ingest the maggots or the food they are in.

Maggots can also survive the acidic environment of your stomach and move to your intestines, where they can cause more harm.

It is quite uncommon to eat maggots accidentally, as they are usually visible and easy to spot in food.

However, some people may eat maggots intentionally, as they are considered a delicacy or a source of protein in some cultures.

For example, some people eat fried maggots or a type of cheese called casu marzu, which is infested with live maggots.

You can prevent or treat the effects of eating maggots by following these steps:

  • If you notice maggots in your food, throw it away immediately and do not eat it.
  • If you have already eaten maggots or maggot-infested food, drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration from vomiting or diarrhea.
  • If you have severe or persistent symptoms, such as bloody stool, high fever, or abdominal pain, see a doctor as soon as possible. You may need antibiotics or other medications to treat the infection or infestation.
  • To avoid accidental ingestion of maggots, store your food properly and check it for signs of spoilage before eating. Do not eat food that has a bad smell, color, or texture. Also, keep your kitchen and dining area clean and free of flies and other insects.

Finally, remember, maggots are not safe to eat and can cause serious health problems.

Always check your food for maggots and avoid eating them.

Leave a Comment