Short Answer: If you accidentally ate expired bagels, you may get stomach upset or food poisoning due to mold and yeast.
Bagels are a type of bread that are usually made from flour, water, and yeast.
They are shaped into rings and boiled before being baked.
They have a chewy texture and can be topped with various ingredients such as seeds, cheese, or fruits.
Bagels are a popular breakfast and snack food in many countries.
If you accidentally eat expired bagels, you may experience some stomach discomfort, such as nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
You may also get food poisoning, which can cause fever, headache, and dehydration.
This is because expired bagels may contain harmful bacteria, such as mold and yeast, that can grow on the surface or inside the bagel.
Mold and yeast are types of fungi that can spoil food and cause illness.
Mold can produce toxins that can damage the digestive system and the immune system.
Yeast can ferment the sugars in the bagel and produce alcohol and gas, which can cause bloating and cramps.
It is quite uncommon to eat expired bagels, as most people check the expiration date and the appearance of the bagel before consuming it.
However, some people may not notice the signs of spoilage or may think that the bagel is still edible if it is slightly stale or dry.
You can prevent or treat the symptoms of eating expired bagels by drinking plenty of water, taking over-the-counter medication, and seeking medical attention if the symptoms are severe or persistent.
To avoid accidental eating of expired bagels, you should store them in a cool, dry place, such as the refrigerator or the freezer, and discard them if they are past their expiration date or show any signs of mold or yeast.
Finally, remember, bagels are a delicious and nutritious food, but they have a limited shelf life and should be consumed while they are fresh and safe.