Short Answer: If you accidentally swallow Vicks VapoRub, you may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, or burning sensation in your mouth or throat.
Vicks VapoRub is a mentholated ointment made of ingredients including camphor, eucalyptus oil and menthol that you rub on your throat and chest.
It is used to relieve cough and congestion by creating a cooling sensation in your nasal passages.
If you accidentally swallow Vicks VapoRub, you may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, or burning sensation in your mouth or throat.
This is because it contains camphor, which is toxic if ingested.
Camphor can cause seizures, coma, or death in large doses.
It is quite uncommon to swallow Vicks VapoRub due to its strong smell and taste.
However, some people may mistake it for a cough syrup or a candy, especially children or elderly people with dementia.
You should seek medical attention immediately if you swallow Vicks VapoRub, even if you do not have any symptoms.
You may need to have your stomach pumped or receive activated charcoal to prevent further absorption of camphor.
You may also need supportive care such as fluids, oxygen, or anti-seizure medications.
To avoid accidental swallowing of Vicks VapoRub, you should store it in a safe place away from children and pets.
You should also read the label carefully and follow the directions for use.
Do not apply it near your mouth or nose, or use it on children younger than 2 years old.
Finally, remember, Vicks VapoRub is a topical product that is not meant to be taken by mouth.
It can cause serious harm if swallowed, so be careful and seek help if you do.