Accidentally Swallowing Pool Water: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally swallow pool water, you may feel sick or get an infection. This is because pool water contains chemicals and microorganisms that can harm your digestive system.

Pool water is the water that fills a swimming pool.

It is usually treated with chemicals such as chlorine or bromine to kill bacteria and algae, and to maintain a balanced pH level.

Pool water is also filtered and circulated to keep it clean and clear.

If you accidentally swallow pool water, you may experience some discomfort or illness.

This is because pool water contains chemicals and microorganisms that can irritate or infect your digestive system.

Pool water can also dilute your body fluids and electrolytes, which can affect your hydration and blood pressure.

Chemicals such as chlorine or bromine can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, or sore throat.

They can also damage your teeth enamel or cause allergic reactions in some people.

Microorganisms such as E. coli, Giardia, Cryptosporidium, or Shigella can cause infections that can lead to diarrhea, fever, dehydration, or more serious complications.

It is quite common to swallow pool water due to splashing, diving, or playing in the pool.

However, you should avoid swallowing large amounts of pool water or water from poorly maintained pools, as this can increase the risk of getting sick.

You can try to spit out the water, rinse your mouth, and drink plenty of clean water to flush out any harmful substances.

You can also take over-the-counter medications to relieve any symptoms.

If you have trouble breathing, swallowing, or speaking, or if you have severe pain or bleeding, you should seek medical attention immediately.

To avoid accidental swallowing of pool water, you should keep your mouth closed when in the pool, and avoid putting your head under water.

You should also avoid swimming in pools that are cloudy, dirty, or have a strong chlorine smell.

You can use goggles, nose clips, or ear plugs to protect your eyes, nose, and ears from pool water.

Finally, remember, pool water is not meant for drinking and can make you sick.

You should always follow the pool rules and hygiene practices, and check the water quality before swimming.

You should also shower before and after swimming to remove any chemicals or germs from your body.

Was this article helpful?

About the Author

Abdur Rahman Choudhury

Abdur Rahman Choudhury is a nutrition coach with over 7 years of experience in the field of nutrition.

He holds a Bachelor's (B.Sc.) and Master's (M.Sc.) degree in Biochemistry from The University of Burdwan, India. He was also involved with a research project about genetic variations in the CYP11A gene among PCOS and Metabolic Syndrome patients.

He has completed the following online courses: Stanford Introduction to Food and Health by Stanford University (US) through Coursera, Certificate in Nutrition from Fabulous Body Inc. (US), Lose Weight and Keep It Off certificate course from Harvard Medical School (US), and Nutrition and Disease Prevention by Taipei Medical University (Taiwan) through FutureLearn.

Abdur currently lives in India and keeps fit by weight training and eating mainly home-cooked meals.

Leave a Comment