Drinking Dish Soap: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally drink dish soap, you may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or irritation in your mouth, throat, or stomach.

Dish soap is a liquid detergent that is used to wash dishes and other utensils.

It is designed to remove grease, food residue, and bacteria from the surfaces of dishes.

Dish soap usually contains water, surfactants, fragrances, colorants, and preservatives.

Some dish soaps may also contain ingredients that are harmful to human health or the environment, such as phosphates, phthalates, triclosan, formaldehyde, and sulfates.

If you accidentally drink dish soap, you may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, or irritation in your mouth, throat, or stomach.

This is because dish soap contains surfactants, which are chemicals that lower the surface tension of water and help dissolve grease and dirt.

Surfactants can also irritate the mucous membranes of the digestive system and cause inflammation or damage.

Some surfactants, such as sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate, can also affect your vision or cause organ damage.

Surfactants can have positive or negative effects depending on the dose and the exposure.

In small amounts, they can help clean your skin, hair, and teeth.

In large amounts, they can cause skin irritation, allergies, cancer, or developmental and reproductive problems.

It is quite uncommon to drink dish soap due to its unpleasant taste and smell.

However, some people may accidentally ingest dish soap if they use it to wash their mouth, if they mistake it for a beverage, or if they are exposed to it by children or pets.

You can treat mild symptoms of dish soap ingestion by drinking plenty of water, rinsing your mouth with water, and eating bland foods.

If you have severe symptoms, such as difficulty breathing, chest pain, or blood in your vomit or stool, you should seek medical attention immediately.

You may need to have your stomach pumped or receive medication to counteract the effects of the dish soap.

To avoid accidental ingestion of dish soap, you should always store it in a safe place away from children and pets.

You should also label the bottle clearly and never use it for any other purpose than washing dishes.

You should also avoid using dish soap that contains toxic ingredients and opt for natural or eco-friendly alternatives instead.

Finally, remember, dish soap is not meant to be consumed and can cause serious harm to your health and the environment.

Always use it with caution and follow the instructions on the label.

Get a Customized Diet Plan

About the Author

Abdur Rahman Choudhury

Abdur Rahman Choudhury is a nutritionist in West Bengal, India, with a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Biochemistry.

He has done his diploma in nutrition from Fabulous Body Inc (US), and completed various certification courses from several universities. He also has considerable research experience in PCOS.

Abdur currently lives in India and keeps fit by weight training and eating mainly home-cooked meals.

Leave a Comment