Short Answer: If you accidentally swallow a rotten tooth, you may not have any serious consequences, but there is a small chance that it could cause choking, scratching, or blocking your digestive tract.
A rotten tooth is a tooth that has decayed or been infected by bacteria.
It can cause pain, bad breath, and other dental problems.
If you accidentally swallow a rotten tooth, you may not have any serious consequences.
Most swallowed objects, including teeth, will pass through your digestive system without causing any harm.
However, there is a small chance that the tooth could cause some complications, such as choking, scratching, or blocking your digestive tract.
This is because a rotten tooth may have sharp edges or fragments that could damage the inside of your body.
A rotten tooth may also contain harmful bacteria that could cause an infection.
An infection from a rotten tooth can lead to blood poisoning, which is a serious condition that occurs when bacteria enter your bloodstream and spread throughout your body.
Blood poisoning can cause symptoms such as fever, chills, low blood pressure, and organ failure.
It is quite uncommon to swallow a rotten tooth due to its size and shape.
Most people would notice if they had a loose or broken tooth in their mouth and spit it out.
However, it could happen if you are eating, drinking, or sleeping and the tooth falls out or breaks off without you realizing it.
You can prevent serious problems if you swallow a rotten tooth by seeking medical attention as soon as possible.
If you have any signs of choking, such as coughing, gagging, or difficulty breathing, you should call for help or perform the Heimlich maneuver immediately.
If you have any signs of infection or obstruction, such as stomach pain, vomiting, fever, or blood in your stool, you should see a doctor right away.
A doctor may need to perform an X-ray or an endoscopy to locate and remove the tooth.
To avoid accidental swallowing of a rotten tooth, you should take good care of your oral health and visit your dentist regularly.
You should brush your teeth twice a day, floss daily, and use a fluoride mouthwash to prevent tooth decay and infection.
You should also avoid biting hard objects, such as ice, nuts, or bones, that could crack or chip your teeth.
If you have a loose or damaged tooth, you should see your dentist as soon as possible to get it fixed or removed.
Finally, remember, a rotten tooth is not something you want to keep in your mouth or swallow.
It can cause pain, infection, and other serious problems. It is better to lose a tooth than to risk your health.