Short Answer: If you accidentally swallow a plum seed, nothing serious will happen in most cases, but there is a small risk of cyanide poisoning or intestinal obstruction.
A plum seed is the inner part of a plum pit, which is the hard shell that surrounds the fruit.
A plum seed looks like a small almond and contains a kernel that can be used to grow a plum tree.
If you accidentally swallow a plum seed, nothing serious will happen in most cases.
The seed will pass through your digestive system and be eliminated in your stool.
However, there is a very small chance that the seed could get stuck in your throat or intestines and cause an obstruction, which could require medical attention.
This is because a plum seed contains a substance called amygdalin, which is a type of cyanogenic glycoside.
Cyanogenic glycosides are compounds that can release cyanide, a poisonous gas, when they are broken down by enzymes in the body.
Amygdalin can produce cyanide when it is chewed or crushed, but not when it is swallowed whole.
Cyanide can interfere with the ability of cells to use oxygen and cause symptoms such as headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and even death in high doses.
It is quite uncommon to swallow a plum seed due to its size and shape.
Most people spit out the pit when they eat a plum, or remove it before eating.
However, some people may accidentally swallow a plum seed if they are not paying attention or if they are eating a plum that has a small or cracked pit.
You can prevent any complications from swallowing a plum seed by drinking plenty of water and eating high-fiber foods to help the seed move through your system.
If you experience any signs of cyanide poisoning, such as difficulty breathing, confusion, or seizures, you should seek medical help immediately.
To avoid accidental swallowing of a plum seed, you should always check the plums before eating them and remove the pits carefully.
You can also use a knife to cut the plum in half and remove the pit, or use a cherry pitter to extract the seed.
You should also avoid giving plums to young children who may not know how to spit out the pits.
Finally, remember, a plum seed is not a dangerous thing to swallow, but it is not a good idea to do it on purpose.
A plum seed is not edible and has no nutritional value. It is better to use the seed to grow a plum tree or discard it in a compost bin.