Short Answer: If you accidentally swallow nasal spray, you may have some stomach upset or other side effects, depending on the type and amount of spray.
Nasal spray is a medication that is used to treat nasal congestion, allergies, or other nasal problems.
It works by delivering a fine mist of medication into your nostrils.
Nasal spray usually contains a corticosteroid, an antihistamine, or a decongestant as the active ingredient.
If you accidentally swallow nasal spray, you may experience some side effects, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, drowsiness, or increased blood pressure.
This is because it contains chemicals that are meant to act on the nasal passages, not the digestive system.
These chemicals can irritate the stomach lining or affect the central nervous system.
It is quite uncommon to swallow nasal spray due to its unpleasant taste and smell.
However, it can happen if you use too much spray, tilt your head back too far, or do not blow your nose before using the spray.
You can prevent serious complications by rinsing your mouth with water, drinking plenty of fluids, and contacting your doctor or poison control center if you have any symptoms or concerns.
You may need medical attention if you have swallowed a large amount of nasal spray or if you have a history of heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, or thyroid disorders.
To avoid accidental swallowing, you should follow the directions on the label or the prescription carefully, use the correct dose and frequency, and keep the spray away from children and pets.
You should also avoid using nasal spray for more than three days in a row, as this can cause rebound congestion or dependence.
Finally, remember, nasal spray is a medication that is intended for nasal use only.
It can help you breathe easier and relieve your nasal symptoms, but it can also cause harm if swallowed.
Always use it with caution and consult your doctor if you have any questions or problems.