Swallowing Maggot: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally swallow a maggot, it can cause bacterial poisoning or intestinal myiasis, which are infections that can affect your digestive system.

A maggot is the larva of the common housefly.

Maggots have soft, white bodies and no legs, and they feed on decaying organic matter, such as spoiled food and animal waste.

If you accidentally swallow a maggot, it can sometimes cause health problems, such as bacterial poisoning or intestinal myiasis.

This is because maggots may carry harmful bacteria that they have picked up from human or animal feces.

They can transmit these bacteria to the food that they infest or to the person who ingests them.

Bacterial poisoning can cause symptoms such as abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and dehydration.

Intestinal myiasis is an infection that occurs when maggots infest and feed on the living tissue of the person’s gastrointestinal tract.

It can cause symptoms such as stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea, and visible larvae in stools.

It is quite uncommon to swallow a maggot, as people usually avoid eating food that is visibly spoiled or infested with flies.

However, it can happen by mistake if the food is not stored properly or if the person does not notice the maggots in the food.

You can prevent accidental swallowing of maggots by keeping your food in sealed containers, refrigerating or freezing perishable items, discarding food that is past its expiration date, and inspecting your food carefully before eating it.

You can also use fly screens or nets to keep flies away from your food and kitchen.

If you swallow a maggot and experience any signs of bacterial poisoning or intestinal myiasis, you should see a doctor as soon as possible.

They can diagnose the condition and prescribe the appropriate treatment, such as antibiotics or anti-parasitic drugs.

You should also drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration and eat bland foods that are easy to digest.

Finally, remember, a maggot is not a harmless worm, but a potential carrier of disease.

Be careful with your food hygiene and storage, and seek medical attention if you have any concerns.

Get a Customized Diet Plan

About the Author

Abdur Rahman Choudhury

Abdur Rahman Choudhury is a nutritionist in West Bengal, India, with a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Biochemistry.

He has done his diploma in nutrition from Fabulous Body Inc (US), and completed various certification courses from several universities. He also has considerable research experience in PCOS.

Abdur currently lives in India and keeps fit by weight training and eating mainly home-cooked meals.

Leave a Comment