Short Answer: If you accidentally swallow braces rubber bands, nothing serious will happen.
Braces rubber bands are special elastic bands that your orthodontist attaches to small hooks on both your upper and lower braces.
They help to move the teeth and jaws into alignment by applying extra force in certain directions.
They come in different sizes, materials, and colors.
If you accidentally swallow braces rubber bands, nothing serious will happen.
They are not toxic or harmful to your body.
They will simply pass through your digestive system and come out in your stool.
This is because they are made with latex or synthetic rubber.
Latex is a natural substance derived from the sap of rubber trees.
Synthetic rubber is a man-made material that mimics the properties of latex.
Latex or synthetic rubber can be easily digested by your stomach acid and enzymes.
They do not cause any obstruction or damage to your intestines.
They are also very flexible and stretchy, so they can adapt to the shape of your digestive tract.
It is quite common to swallow braces rubber bands due to various reasons. Some of them are:
- You may forget to remove them before eating or drinking.
- You may accidentally bite them off while chewing or talking.
- You may lose them while sleeping or brushing your teeth.
- You may play with them with your tongue or fingers and accidentally swallow them.
You do not need to worry if you swallow braces rubber bands.
However, you should inform your orthodontist about it and get new ones as soon as possible.
This is because the rubber bands are an important part of your braces treatment and they need to be worn as instructed by your orthodontist.
To avoid accidental swallowing of braces rubber bands, you can follow some tips such as:
- Always remove them before eating or drinking and put them in a safe place.
- Avoid biting or pulling them with your teeth or fingers.
- Replace them regularly as they may lose their elasticity over time.
- Keep a spare set of rubber bands with you in case you lose or swallow them.
Finally, remember, braces rubber bands are designed to help you achieve a beautiful and healthy smile.
They are not meant to be eaten or swallowed.
Follow your orthodontist’s instructions and take good care of your braces and rubber bands.