Short Answer: If you accidentally drink moldy tea, you may experience digestive issues, allergic reactions, or more severe complications due to the presence of mycotoxins in the mold.
Moldy tea is tea that has been contaminated by mold, which is a type of fungus that grows on organic matter.
Mold can produce harmful substances called mycotoxins, which can cause various health problems if ingested.
If you accidentally drink moldy tea, you may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and other digestive issues.
You may also have allergic reactions such as hives, itching, swelling, or difficulty breathing.
In some cases, drinking moldy tea can lead to more serious complications such as liver damage, kidney damage, respiratory infections, or even death.
This is because moldy tea contains mycotoxins or mold toxins, which are poisonous chemicals that can damage your cells and organs.
Mycotoxins can also affect your immune system and make you more susceptible to infections.
Some of the most common mycotoxins found in moldy tea are aflatoxins, ochratoxins, and fumonisins.
It is quite uncommon to drink moldy tea due to its unpleasant appearance, smell, and taste.
However, some people may not notice the mold growth on the surface or inside the liquid of the tea, especially if they drink it from a closed container or a dark cup.
Also, some people may drink moldy tea by mistake if they forget to discard the leftover tea or store it improperly.
To prevent yourself from accidentally consuming moldy tea, you should always check your tea before brewing or drinking it.
Moldy tea can have a different appearance, smell, or taste than fresh tea.
You may notice some discoloration, cloudiness, fuzziness, or bad smell in your tea if it is contaminated by mold. If you see any of these signs, do not drink the tea and throw it away.
You should also store your tea properly to avoid mold growth.
Keep your tea bags or loose tea leaves in an airtight container away from light and moisture.
Do not leave your tea out for a long time or store it in a warm, moist, or humid environment. If you have any leftover tea, refrigerate it and consume it within a few days.
Finally, remember, moldy tea is not safe to drink and can cause serious health problems.
Always drink fresh and clean tea to enjoy its benefits and avoid its risks.