Short Answer: If you accidentally drink expired Pedialyte, you may get sick from bacterial or mold contamination.
Pedialyte is an oral rehydration solution (ORS) that is used to prevent and treat dehydration caused by diarrhea, vomiting, or excessive sweating.
It contains water, sugar, and electrolytes (such as sodium, potassium, and chloride) that help replenish the fluids and minerals lost due to illness or physical activity.
If you accidentally drink expired Pedialyte, you may experience symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or fever.
This is because it may contain bacteria or mold that can cause infections or food poisoning.
Pedialyte contains ingredients such as dextrose, citric acid, sodium chloride, potassium citrate, sodium citrate, and artificial flavors and colors.
These ingredients can help restore the balance of fluids and electrolytes in the body when they are fresh and sterile.
However, when they are expired or contaminated, they can have negative effects such as upsetting the stomach, altering the pH level, or triggering allergic reactions.
It is uncommon to drink expired Pedialyte because most people use it only when they are sick or dehydrated and follow the instructions on the label.
However, some people may forget to check the expiration date or store it improperly and end up drinking it after it has gone bad.
If you drink expired Pedialyte and feel sick, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible.
You may need antibiotics or other treatments to prevent complications such as dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, or sepsis.
To avoid drinking expired Pedialyte, you should always check the expiration date before using it and discard any unused portion after 48 hours if it is opened or 24 hours if it is mixed from powder.
You should also store it in a cool and dry place away from sunlight and heat. Do not use it if it looks cloudy, discolored, or has an unusual smell or taste.
Finally, remember, Pedialyte is a helpful product for hydration and recovery when used correctly and within its best quality.
However, it can be harmful if it is expired or spoiled. Therefore, you should always be careful and follow the directions on the package.