Eating Vaporub: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally eat Vicks VapoRub, you may get sick and need medical help.

Vicks VapoRub is a mentholated ointment that is applied to the skin.

It contains camphor, menthol, eucalyptus oil, and other ingredients that may provide temporary relief of cough, congestion, and muscle or joint pain.

If you accidentally eat Vicks VapoRub, you may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain.

This is because it contains camphor, which is toxic when ingested.

Camphor can cause seizures, coma, and death if consumed in large amounts.

It can also irritate the lining of your mouth, throat, and stomach.

It is quite uncommon to eat Vicks VapoRub due to its strong smell and taste.

However, some people may mistake it for food or candy, especially children or people with dementia.

You can prevent accidental ingestion by keeping Vicks VapoRub out of reach of children and pets, and storing it in its original container with a clear label.

If you or someone else eats Vicks VapoRub, you should call your local poison control center or seek medical attention immediately.

Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a doctor or poison control specialist.

You may need activated charcoal, fluids, or other treatments to reduce the absorption of camphor and prevent serious complications.

Finally, remember, Vicks VapoRub is for external use only and should never be eaten, swallowed, or applied to your nose, eyes, or mouth.

Get a Customized Diet Plan

About the Author

Abdur Rahman Choudhury

Abdur Rahman Choudhury is a nutritionist in West Bengal, India, with a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Biochemistry.

He has done his diploma in nutrition from Fabulous Body Inc (US), and completed various certification courses from several universities. He also has considerable research experience in PCOS.

Abdur currently lives in India and keeps fit by weight training and eating mainly home-cooked meals.

Leave a Comment