Short Answer: If you accidentally ate undercooked sausage, you may get food poisoning from bacteria or parasites in the sausage.
Undercooked sausage is sausage that has not reached the safe minimum internal temperature of 160°F (71°C) for red meat sausages or 165°F (74°C) for poultry sausages.
Undercooked sausage can pose health risks, particularly if it contains harmful bacteria such as Trichinosis, Salmonella, E. coli, or Listeria.
If you accidentally ate undercooked sausage, you may experience symptoms of food poisoning such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, fever, and headache within 12 to 72 hours of ingestion.
You may also have muscle soreness, eye swelling, and breathing problems if you have a trichinellosis infection from eating raw or undercooked pork or wild game infected with the Trichinella worm.
This is because undercooked sausage may contain live bacteria or parasites that can make you sick.
Bacteria such as Salmonella, E. coli, and Listeria can cause serious infections in your intestines, bloodstream, or other organs.
Parasites such as Trichinella can invade your muscles, brain, heart, or lungs and cause severe complications.
It is quite uncommon to eat undercooked sausage due to the high risk of foodborne illness.
However, some people may prefer their sausage to be juicy and pink, or they may not have a meat thermometer to check the doneness of the sausage.
Some types of sausage, such as cured, smoked, or dried sausage, may also appear pink even when they are fully cooked.
You can prevent or treat food poisoning from undercooked sausage by following these steps:
- If you suspect that you have eaten undercooked sausage, contact your doctor or seek medical attention as soon as possible. You may need antibiotics or antiparasitic drugs to treat the infection.
- Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration from vomiting or diarrhea. Avoid caffeine, alcohol, or dairy products that may worsen your symptoms.
- Eat bland foods such as toast, rice, or bananas to ease your stomach. Avoid spicy, fatty, or fried foods that may irritate your digestive system.
- Rest and take over-the-counter pain relievers or anti-inflammatory drugs to reduce fever, headache, or muscle pain. Follow the directions on the label and do not exceed the recommended dose.
- To avoid accidental eating of undercooked sausage, always use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the sausage before serving or eating. Cook the sausage until it reaches 160°F (71°C) for red meat sausages or 165°F (74°C) for poultry sausages.
- Also, wash your hands, utensils, and cutting boards thoroughly after handling raw sausage to prevent cross-contamination with other foods.
Finally, remember, undercooked sausage is not only unappetizing but also unsafe.
Always cook your sausage to the proper temperature and enjoy it without any worries.