Short Answer: If you accidentally eat undercooked pizza dough, you may get sick from the bacteria in the raw flour and eggs.
Undercooked pizza dough is dough that has not been baked long enough or at a high enough temperature to kill any harmful bacteria that may be present in the raw ingredients, especially the flour and the eggs.
If you accidentally eat undercooked pizza dough, you may experience symptoms of food poisoning, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps.
This is because it contains flour and eggs that can harbor bacteria such as E. coli and Salmonella, which can cause infections and illnesses.
Flour is a raw agricultural product that can be contaminated by bacteria from animal feces in the fields or during processing.
Eggs can also be contaminated by Salmonella from the chickens that lay them or from the environment they are stored in.
These bacteria can survive in the dough and multiply if the dough is not cooked properly or stored safely.
It is quite uncommon to eat undercooked pizza dough, as most people can tell by the texture and appearance of the pizza if the dough is not fully cooked.
However, some people may not notice or may prefer a softer crust, which can increase the risk of eating undercooked pizza dough.
You can prevent food poisoning from undercooked pizza dough by following these tips:
- Always cook your pizza in a hot oven (at least 375°F or 190°C) for the recommended time or until the crust is golden and crisp.
- Use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of the pizza. It should reach at least 165°F or 74°C in the thickest part of the pizza.
- Do not eat raw or uncooked pizza dough, even if it is pre-made or refrigerated. Always bake it before eating it.
- Store leftover pizza in the refrigerator within two hours of cooking and reheat it thoroughly before eating it again.
- Wash your hands, utensils, and surfaces with soap and water before and after handling pizza dough or any raw ingredients.
Finally, remember, undercooked pizza dough is not only unpleasant to eat, but also potentially dangerous.
Always cook your pizza well and enjoy it safely.