Short Answer: If you accidentally eat raw chorizo, you may get sick from food poisoning or parasites, because it contains raw pork meat and fat that may harbor harmful bacteria or worms.
Chorizo is a type of pork sausage that is popular in Spanish and Mexican cuisines.
It has a distinctive smoky flavor and a red color from chili powder and paprika spices.
If you accidentally eat raw chorizo, you may get sick from food poisoning or parasites.
This is because it contains raw pork meat and fat that may harbor harmful bacteria or worms.
Raw pork meat and fat can cause infections such as salmonella, E. coli, trichinosis, or toxoplasmosis.
These infections can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, abdominal pain, muscle aches, and headaches.
It is quite uncommon to eat raw chorizo due to the health risks.
Most people cook chorizo before eating it or buy cured chorizo that is safe to eat without cooking.
You can prevent or treat food poisoning or parasites by cooking chorizo thoroughly to an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C) or higher, washing your hands and utensils after handling raw chorizo, and seeking medical attention if you have severe or persistent symptoms.
To avoid accidental eating of raw chorizo, you should always check the label and packaging of the chorizo you buy.
If it says “fresh”, “raw”, or “refrigerated”, it means it needs to be cooked before eating.
If it says “cured”, “smoked”, or “dried”, it means it is safe to eat without cooking.
Finally, remember, chorizo is a delicious and versatile sausage that can be used in many dishes, but it should always be handled and prepared safely to avoid health problems.