Short Answer: If you accidentally eat old tomato paste, you may get sick from food poisoning caused by bacteria.
Tomato paste is a thick and concentrated tomato sauce that is used to add flavor and texture to various dishes.
It is usually made with tomatoes, salt, and sometimes herbs and spices.
If you accidentally eat old tomato paste, you may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever.
This is because it may contain harmful bacteria, such as salmonella, that can cause food poisoning.
Salmonella can infect the intestinal tract and cause inflammation, dehydration, and electrolyte imbalance.
It can also affect the kidneys, liver, and other organs in severe cases.
It is quite uncommon to eat old tomato paste due to its long shelf life and distinctive taste and smell.
However, it may happen if you do not check the expiration date, store it properly, or notice any signs of spoilage.
You can prevent or treat the symptoms of food poisoning by drinking plenty of fluids, taking over-the-counter medications, and seeking medical attention if necessary.
To avoid accidental eating of old tomato paste, you should discard it after six months of purchase, refrigerate it after opening, and use a clean utensil to scoop it out.
Finally, remember, tomato paste is a delicious and versatile ingredient that can enhance your cooking, but only if it is fresh and safe to eat.