Short Answer: If you accidentally ate moldy chestnuts, you may get sick from food poisoning or allergic reactions.
Chestnuts are tree nuts that come from certain beech trees and shrubs in North America, Europe, China, and Japan.
They have a hard, shiny, brown shell and a soft, creamy interior that becomes sweet after being cooked.
Chestnuts are prone to spoilage and can develop fuzzy mold, discoloration, and a hard, brittle texture.
If you accidentally eat moldy chestnuts, you may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, or allergic reactions.
This is because moldy chestnuts may contain harmful bacteria, fungi, or toxins that can cause food poisoning or infections.
Moldy chestnuts may also have a bitter or unpleasant taste that can ruin your appetite.
Mold can produce substances called mycotoxins that can damage your liver, kidneys, nervous system, or immune system.
Some types of mold can also trigger allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to them, such as sneezing, coughing, itching, or swelling.
It is quite uncommon to eat moldy chestnuts due to their hard shells that protect them from external contamination, but sometimes mold can grow inside the nut if there are cracks or holes in the shell.
You can prevent or treat the symptoms of eating moldy chestnuts by drinking plenty of water, taking over-the-counter medications, or seeking medical attention if the symptoms are severe or persistent.
To avoid accidental eating of moldy chestnuts, you should always inspect the shells for any signs of damage, discoloration, or softness before buying or consuming them.
You should also store chestnuts in a cool, dry place and use them within a few weeks or freeze them for longer storage.
Finally, remember, chestnuts are a delicious and nutritious food that can be enjoyed in many ways, but only if they are fresh and mold-free.