Eating Bleeding Tooth Fungus: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally ate bleeding tooth fungus, you would not be poisoned, but you would taste very bitter and bleed more easily.

Bleeding tooth fungus is a fungus that produces spores on the surface of vertical spines or tooth-like projections that hang from the undersurface of the fruit bodies.

It is a mycorrhizal species, and forms mutually beneficial relationships with coniferous trees.

The fruit bodies can “bleed” bright red guttation droplets when moist, earning it the common name of bleeding tooth fungus.

If you accidentally eat bleeding tooth fungus, you will not be poisoned, but you will experience a very unpleasant and bitter taste in your mouth.

This is because it contains atromentin and thelephoric acid, two compounds that have anticoagulant and antibacterial properties.

Atromentin and thelephoric acid can prevent blood clotting and inhibit the growth of certain bacteria, respectively.

These compounds may have potential medical uses, such as producing natural dyes or treating infections.

It is quite uncommon to eat bleeding tooth fungus due to its unappealing appearance and taste.

Most people would avoid eating a mushroom that looks like it is bleeding.

However, some curious or adventurous eaters may try it out of curiosity or for a challenge.

You can spit out the mushroom or rinse your mouth with water if you find the taste too unbearable.

You may also want to drink some fluids to prevent dehydration, as the fungus may cause excessive bleeding if you have any cuts or wounds in your mouth.

To avoid accidental eating of bleeding tooth fungus, you should always identify the mushrooms you are picking or buying before consuming them.

You can use a mushroom guide book or consult an expert to help you with identification.

You should also avoid eating any mushrooms that are unfamiliar, damaged, or have signs of decay.

Finally, remember, bleeding tooth fungus is a fascinating and rare mushroom that has some unique characteristics and potential benefits.

However, it is not a good choice for eating, as it will leave you with a bitter taste and a bloody mouth.

Get a Customized Diet Plan

About the Author

Abdur Rahman Choudhury

Abdur Rahman Choudhury is a nutritionist in West Bengal, India, with a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Biochemistry.

He has done his diploma in nutrition from Fabulous Body Inc (US), and completed various certification courses from several universities. He also has considerable research experience in PCOS.

Abdur currently lives in India and keeps fit by weight training and eating mainly home-cooked meals.

Leave a Comment