What Happens If You Eat Bad Olives? (Expert Answer)

Short Answer: If you accidentally eat bad olives, you might get food poisoning or botulism, which can cause various symptoms ranging from mild to severe.

Olives are small fruits that grow on olive trees and are usually cured or processed before consumption, as they are too bitter to eat fresh.

Olives can be cured in brine, oil, vinegar, or salt, and sometimes flavored with herbs, spices, or garlic.

If you accidentally eat bad olives, you might get food poisoning, which can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach ache.

In rare cases, you might get botulism, which can cause blurred vision, muscle weakness, and paralysis.

This is because olives contain oleuropein, a bitter compound that can act as a natural preservative and prevent the growth of harmful microbes.

However, if olives are exposed to air, moisture, or heat, oleuropein can degrade and lose its protective properties.

This can allow the growth of spoilage bacteria, mold, or yeast, which can produce toxins or cause infections.

In particular, Clostridium botulinum can thrive in low-oxygen, high-moisture, and low-acid environments, such as improperly canned or vacuum-packed olives.

Clostridium botulinum can produce botulinum toxin, one of the most potent neurotoxins known to humans.

Oleuropein can also have anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and cardioprotective effects.

It can lower blood pressure, cholesterol, and oxidative stress, and modulate immune system responses.

It is quite uncommon to eat bad olives, as most olives are commercially processed and packaged under strict quality and safety standards.

However, if you make your own olives at home, or buy them from unreliable sources, you might run the risk of eating spoiled or contaminated olives.

You can prevent or treat food poisoning from bad olives by following these steps:

Check the appearance, smell, and taste of olives before eating them.

If they look moldy, slimy, discolored, or swollen, or if they smell rancid, sour, or foul, or if they taste bitter, metallic, or off, do not eat them and discard them immediately.

Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated and avoid dehydration from vomiting or diarrhea.

Seek medical attention if you have severe or persistent symptoms, or if you suspect you have botulism.

Botulism can be treated with an antitoxin that can neutralize the toxin and prevent further damage to the nerves.

To avoid accidental eating of bad olives, store them properly in a cool, dry, and dark place, and refrigerate them after opening.

Follow the best-before or expiration dates on the labels, and do not consume olives that have been opened for more than two weeks.

Finally, remember, olives are a healthy and delicious food that can enhance your dishes and snacks, but only if they are fresh and safe to eat.

Always check the quality of your olives and enjoy them responsibly.

Get a Customized Diet Plan

About the Author

Abdur Rahman Choudhury

Abdur Rahman Choudhury is a nutritionist in West Bengal, India, with a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Biochemistry.

He has done his diploma in nutrition from Fabulous Body Inc (US), and completed various certification courses from several universities. He also has considerable research experience in PCOS.

Abdur currently lives in India and keeps fit by weight training and eating mainly home-cooked meals.

Leave a Comment