Drinking Mold: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally drink mold, you may get sick from the mycotoxins that mold produces. You should discard any moldy drinks and seek medical help if you have symptoms.

Mold is a type of fungus that grows on damp or decaying organic matter or on living organisms.

Mold can produce spores that contain fungal secondary metabolites, which can have various effects on human health.

If you accidentally drink mold, you may experience some unpleasant symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, or allergic reactions.

These symptoms are usually mild and self-limiting, but in some cases, they can be severe or even life-threatening.

This is because mold contains mycotoxins, which are toxic compounds produced by some fungi.

Mycotoxins can affect the immune system, the nervous system, the liver, the kidneys, and other organs.

Some mycotoxins are carcinogenic, meaning they can cause cancer.

It is quite uncommon to drink mold, as most people would notice the change in color, smell, or taste of the contaminated liquid.

However, some moldy drinks may not have obvious signs of spoilage, such as apple juice, wine, or beer.

You can prevent or reduce the risk of mold poisoning by discarding any drinks that have visible mold growth, foul odor, or sour taste.

If you have already drunk mold and feel sick, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible.

You may need to take antifungal medication, antihistamines, or activated charcoal to treat the infection or the allergic reaction.

To avoid accidental drinking of mold, you should store your drinks in a cool, dry, and dark place, and check the expiration date before consuming them.

You should also clean and sanitize your bottles, cups, and containers regularly, and avoid reusing them without washing.

Finally, remember, mold is not always harmful, but it can cause serious health problems if ingested.

Therefore, you should always be careful with your drinks and avoid drinking mold at all costs.

Get a Customized Diet Plan

About the Author

Abdur Rahman Choudhury

Abdur Rahman Choudhury is a nutritionist in West Bengal, India, with a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Biochemistry.

He has done his diploma in nutrition from Fabulous Body Inc (US), and completed various certification courses from several universities. He also has considerable research experience in PCOS.

Abdur currently lives in India and keeps fit by weight training and eating mainly home-cooked meals.

Leave a Comment