Short Answer: If you accidentally eat bad masa, you may get sick from food poisoning.
Masa is a dough made from corn flour that has been cooked and soaked in limewater, a diluted solution of calcium hydroxide.
It is used to make corn tortillas, tamales, and other Latin American dishes.
If you accidentally eat bad masa, you may experience food poisoning symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
This is because bad masa may contain harmful bacteria, mold, or toxins that can cause illness.
Bad masa can be caused by improper storage, moisture, or contamination by insects or rodents.
Masa can spoil quickly due to its high moisture content and should be stored in a cool, dry place.
If the masa is dry, crumbly, discolored, or has an unpleasant smell or taste, it is probably spoiled and should be discarded.
Masa is a nutritious food that contains protein, fiber, calcium, iron, and niacin.
Niacin is a vitamin that helps prevent pellagra, a disease caused by niacin deficiency.
Masa also has a unique flavor and texture that enhances many dishes.
It is quite uncommon to eat bad masa due to its short shelf life and distinctive appearance.
Most people who use masa are aware of how to store it properly and check for signs of spoilage before using it.
To prevent masa from spoilage, you should store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer and use it within a few days or weeks.
You should also avoid exposing it to moisture or heat and keep it away from pests.
You should always cook the masa thoroughly before eating it, and do not reuse any leftover masa that has been sitting at room temperature for more than two hours.
Finally, remember, masa is a versatile and delicious ingredient that can be used to make many dishes.
However, it can also go bad quickly and cause food poisoning if not handled properly. Therefore, always be careful when buying, storing, and using masa and enjoy its benefits safely.