Short Answer: If you accidentally drink bad coconut milk, you may get food poisoning with stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Coconut milk is an opaque, milky-white liquid extracted from the grated pulp of mature coconuts.
It is used in many traditional cuisines around the world, especially in Southeast Asia, Oceania, South Asia, and East Africa.
If you accidentally drink bad coconut milk, you may experience food poisoning symptoms such as stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
This is because it contains bacteria or fungi that have grown on the spoiled milk and produce toxins that can harm your health.
Coconut milk contains a type of fat called medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which can have some health benefits such as stimulating weight loss, increasing insulin sensitivity, and boosting exercise endurance.
However, when coconut milk goes bad, the MCTs may turn rancid and cause inflammation and oxidative stress in your body.
It is quite uncommon to drink bad coconut milk due to its distinctive smell and taste.
Bad coconut milk will smell sour or rancid and taste acidic or metallic.
You may also notice changes in its appearance, such as mold growth, dark color, or chunky texture.
Discard any coconut milk that has passed its expiration date, has a swollen can, or shows signs of spoilage.
If you experience mild food poisoning symptoms after drinking bad coconut milk, drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated and avoid solid foods until you feel better.
If you experience severe food poisoning symptoms, such as high fever, bloody stools, dehydration, or persistent vomiting, seek medical attention immediately. You may need antibiotics or intravenous fluids to treat the infection.
To prevent coconut milk from spoilage, store it in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight and heat sources. Refrigerate it after opening and use it within a few days.
Finally, remember, coconut milk is a delicious and nutritious ingredient that can enhance many dishes.
However, you should always check its quality before using it and avoid drinking it if it has gone bad.