Short Answer: If you accidentally eat bad cilantro, you may have nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea because of the saponin in cilantro.
Cilantro is a fragrant herb commonly used in many cuisines, especially in Mexican, Indian, and Asian dishes.
It is also known as coriander, Chinese parsley, or dhania.
Cilantro refers to the leaves and stems of the Coriandrum sativum plant, while the seeds are called coriander.
If you accidentally eat bad cilantro, you may experience some gastrointestinal distress, such as nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
This is because cilantro contains a chemical compound called saponin, which can irritate the digestive system in high concentrations.
Saponin can also have some positive effects, such as lowering cholesterol levels, reducing inflammation, and fighting bacteria.
However, these benefits are only seen when cilantro is consumed in moderate amounts.
It is quite uncommon to eat bad cilantro, as it is usually eaten fresh or dried.
However, cilantro can go bad if it is exposed to too much heat, moisture, or light.
Some signs of bad cilantro are wilting, yellowing, black spots, or a sour smell.
You can prevent or treat the symptoms of eating bad cilantro by drinking plenty of fluids, avoiding spicy or fatty foods, and taking over-the-counter medications for nausea or diarrhea.
If the symptoms are severe or persist for more than 24 hours, you should consult a doctor.
To avoid accidental eating of bad cilantro, you should store it properly in the refrigerator or freezer.
You can also check the freshness of cilantro by looking at its color, texture, and smell before using it.
You should discard any cilantro that looks or smells spoiled.
Finally, remember that cilantro is a healthy and flavorful herb that can enhance many dishes.
However, you should consume it in moderation and only use fresh or dried cilantro that is stored correctly.