Accidentally Eating Fly Eggs: What will Happen?

Short Answer: If you accidentally eat fly eggs, you may get food poisoning if the eggs or maggots are contaminated with bacteria. Otherwise, you will be fine as the stomach acid will kill them.

Fly eggs are the eggs of flies, which are insects that belong to the order Diptera.

Flies lay their eggs in decaying organic matter, such as spoiled food and animal waste, which serves as food for the developing larvae.

Fly eggs are usually white or grey and are about 0.2 to 1.4 mm in length.

If you accidentally eat fly eggs, you are likely going to be just fine.

In fact, you’ve likely done this many times without really knowing about it.

When fresh food like fruits and vegetables are picked from the garden or a farm, they may already have insect eggs laid on them.

This happens before the food is packed and shipped to a supermarket or store.

This is because fly eggs are made of organic matter, which can be digested by the human stomach.

The stomach produces hydrochloric acid, which can easily penetrate the soft covering of fly eggs and maggots and kill them instantly.

Fly eggs and maggots do not contain any harmful substances or toxins that can harm the human body.

However, fly eggs and maggots can sometimes carry bacteria that they have picked up from human or animal waste.

Flies can visit multiple food sources throughout the day, and they may transmit these bacteria to foods that people eat.

Some examples of bacteria that flies and maggots may transmit to humans are Salmonella and Escherichia coli.

These bacteria can cause food poisoning, which can lead to symptoms such as abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever.

It is quite uncommon to eat fly eggs or maggots intentionally, but it may happen accidentally if you eat spoiled food infested with fly eggs and larvae.

This can occur if you leave food in the open for too long, or if you do not store food properly in the fridge or freezer.

It can also happen if you do not wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly before eating them.

You can prevent or treat food poisoning by drinking plenty of fluids, especially water, to avoid dehydration.

You can also take over-the-counter medications to relieve pain and fever.

If you have severe symptoms, such as bloody diarrhea, high fever, or signs of dehydration, you should see a doctor as soon as possible.

You may need antibiotics or intravenous fluids to treat the infection.

To avoid accidental eating of fly eggs or maggots, you should always check your food for signs of spoilage, such as mold, bad smell, or slimy texture.

You should also cook your food thoroughly and keep it covered or refrigerated.

You should wash your hands before and after handling food, and use clean utensils and dishes.

You should also remove trash or litter that may attract flies and other pests, and keep your kitchen and dining area clean and sanitary.

Finally, remember, fly eggs are not harmful by themselves, but they can carry bacteria that can cause food poisoning.

Therefore, you should always be careful about what you eat and how you store and prepare your food.

Get a Customized Diet Plan

About the Author

Abdur Rahman Choudhury

Abdur Rahman Choudhury is a nutritionist in West Bengal, India, with a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Biochemistry.

He has done his diploma in nutrition from Fabulous Body Inc (US), and completed various certification courses from several universities. He also has considerable research experience in PCOS.

Abdur currently lives in India and keeps fit by weight training and eating mainly home-cooked meals.

Leave a Comment