Short Answer: If you accidentally swallow your tongue ring, the ball or bead will likely pass through your body without harm, but the bar may cause damage to your digestive system and require medical intervention.
A tongue ring is a type of body piercing jewelry that is usually worn in the center of the tongue.
It consists of two parts: a metal bar that goes through the tongue and a ball or bead that screws onto the end of the bar.
If you accidentally swallow your tongue ring, the outcome may depend on which part you swallowed.
If you swallowed the ball or bead, it will most likely pass through your digestive system without causing any harm.
This is because it is usually made of metal or plastic, which are inert and non-toxic materials.
It is quite common to swallow the ball or bead of a tongue ring due to the frequent movement of the tongue and the possibility of the ball or bead becoming loose.
If you swallowed the bar, however, it may cause some complications.
The bar is usually made of surgical steel, which is also inert and non-toxic, but it has a sharp end that can potentially damage your esophagus, stomach, or intestines.
It is uncommon to swallow the bar of a tongue ring, but it can happen if the bar is too short or if you accidentally bite it off.
You can prevent swallowing your tongue ring by checking it regularly and making sure it is secure and comfortable.
You should also avoid playing with it or biting it, as this can loosen or damage the jewelry.
If you do swallow your tongue ring, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible, especially if you swallowed the bar or if you experience any pain, bleeding, or difficulty swallowing.
A doctor may be able to remove the tongue ring with an endoscope or surgery, depending on where it is located.
Finally, remember, a tongue ring is a form of body modification that requires proper care and hygiene.
You should always follow the aftercare instructions given by your piercer and keep your tongue and mouth clean to avoid infections and complications.