Short Answer: If you accidentally swallow teeth whitening gel, you may have some mild stomach or mouth discomfort, but it is usually not serious.
Teeth whitening gel is a product that contains a bleaching agent, usually hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide, that can remove stains and lighten the color of your teeth.
If you accidentally swallow teeth whitening gel, you may experience some mild side effects, such as nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, or irritation in your mouth or throat.
This is because the bleaching agents in the gel can be harsh on your digestive system and mucous membranes.
Hydrogen peroxide can cause oxidative damage to your cells and tissues, while carbamide peroxide can break down into hydrogen peroxide and urea, which can increase the acidity and ammonia levels in your stomach.
It is quite uncommon to swallow teeth whitening gel due to the way it is applied.
Teeth whitening gel is usually used with a custom-made tray that fits over your teeth, or with strips that adhere to your teeth.
These methods prevent the gel from leaking into your mouth and being swallowed.
You can treat the symptoms of swallowing teeth whitening gel by drinking plenty of water, eating bland foods, and taking over-the-counter pain relievers or antacids if needed.
However, if you swallow a large amount of gel, or if you have severe or persistent symptoms, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible.
To avoid accidental swallowing of teeth whitening gel, you should follow the instructions on the product label carefully, and use only the recommended amount of gel.
You should also avoid eating, drinking, or rinsing your mouth while using the gel, and spit out any excess gel after the treatment.
Finally, remember, teeth whitening gel is a cosmetic product that can improve the appearance of your teeth, but it is not a substitute for good oral hygiene.
You should brush your teeth twice a day, floss daily, and visit your dentist regularly for check-ups and cleaning.