Short Answer: If you accidentally swallow plaque, nothing serious will happen. This is because plaque is mostly made of bacteria and saliva, which are harmless to your digestive system.
Plaque is a clear, sticky coating of bacteria that forms on the teeth.
It develops when bacteria in the mouth react with sugars and starches found in certain foods and drinks.
Plaque can be removed with regular toothbrushing and flossing.
If you accidentally swallow plaque, nothing serious will happen.
This is because plaque is mostly made of bacteria and saliva, which are already present in your mouth and digestive system.
Bacteria can be killed by the acid in your stomach or eliminated through your intestines.
It is quite common to swallow plaque due to normal swallowing reflexes or when brushing your teeth.
You can prevent plaque buildup by brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing daily, and visiting your dentist regularly.
To avoid accidental swallowing of plaque, spit out the toothpaste after brushing and rinse your mouth with water.
Finally, remember, plaque is the main cause of tooth decay and gum disease.
Therefore, it is important to keep your teeth and gums healthy by removing plaque regularly.