Short Answer: If you accidentally swallow Listerine mouthwash, you may have some mild stomach upset or nausea, but it is usually not harmful unless you ingest a large amount or have an allergic reaction.
Listerine is a mouthwash containing several beneficial ingredients for oral health.
These include zinc chloride, which helps to fight plaque and bad breath; phenols, which inhibit the growth of bacteria; and thymol, which fights off germs.
Listerine can help to prevent tooth decay by removing plaque and food particles from teeth.
If you accidentally swallow Listerine mouthwash, you may experience some mild side effects such as stomach upset, nausea, or vomiting.
This is because it contains alcohol, which can irritate the lining of your stomach and intestines.
Alcohol can also cause dehydration and affect your blood sugar levels.
Alcohol is used as a preservative ingredient and as a carrier for the other active ingredients in mouthwash, not as an antiseptic ingredient.
Alcohol can also create a tingling or burning sensation in your mouth, which some people may find unpleasant.
It is quite uncommon to swallow Listerine mouthwash due to its strong taste and smell.
However, some people may accidentally ingest a small amount while rinsing their mouth or gargling.
Children may also be curious and try to drink mouthwash, especially if it has a sweet or fruity flavor.
You can usually treat minor symptoms of mouthwash ingestion at home by drinking plenty of water and eating bland foods.
However, if you swallow a large amount of mouthwash or experience severe symptoms such as drowsiness, confusion, difficulty breathing, or seizures, you should seek medical attention immediately.
This could indicate alcohol poisoning, which can be life-threatening.
To avoid accidental swallowing of mouthwash, you should always spit out the mouthwash after rinsing your mouth.
You should also keep mouthwash out of reach of children and pets, and use a measuring cup or cap to pour the right amount of mouthwash.
You should not use mouthwash more than twice a day or for longer than 30 seconds, as this may increase the risk of side effects.
Finally, remember, Listerine is a helpful product for oral hygiene, but it is not a substitute for brushing and flossing your teeth.
You should always follow the directions on the label and consult your dentist before using mouthwash if you have any dental or medical conditions.