Swallowing Ice Cube: What will Happen?

Short answer: If you accidentally swallow an ice cube, it will usually melt in your stomach, but it can also cause choking, dental problems, or infections if it is large, sharp, or contaminated.

Ice is frozen water that has no nutritional value but can help cool down your body temperature and keep you hydrated.

If you accidentally swallow an ice cube, it will usually melt in your mouth or in your stomach due to your body heat.

However, if the ice cube is too large or has sharp edges, it can get stuck in your throat or damage your teeth and gums.

This is because ice is a solid substance that can block your airway or cause cracks and infections in your oral cavity.

Ice can also contain bacteria or chemicals that can make you sick if it is not clean or filtered.

It is quite common to swallow ice cubes due to a habit, a craving, or a medical condition.

You can try to cough or drink warm water if you feel discomfort or pain after swallowing an ice cube.

To avoid accidental swallowing, you should break the ice into smaller pieces, suck on it instead of chewing it, or use crushed ice instead of cubes.

Finally, remember, ice is not food and should not be consumed excessively or regularly.

Get a Customized Diet Plan

About the Author

Abdur Rahman Choudhury

Abdur Rahman Choudhury is a nutritionist in West Bengal, India, with a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Biochemistry.

He has done his diploma in nutrition from Fabulous Body Inc (US), and completed various certification courses from several universities. He also has considerable research experience in PCOS.

Abdur currently lives in India and keeps fit by weight training and eating mainly home-cooked meals.

Leave a Comment