Short Answer: If you accidentally eat expired condensed milk, you may get food poisoning from the bacteria that can grow in the milk and produce toxins that can harm your digestive system.
Condensed milk is a milk product made by removing most of the water from cow’s milk and adding sugar as a preservative.
It has some protein, fat, vitamins and minerals, but also a lot of calories and sugar.
It can be used in desserts, coffee and other dishes, but it may be unsuitable for some people with milk or lactose intolerance.
If you accidentally eat expired condensed milk, you may experience symptoms of food poisoning, such as stomach cramps, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.
This is because it contains bacteria that can multiply in the milk and cause illness.
Bacteria can grow in condensed milk even if it has been pasteurized, especially if it has been stored improperly or opened for a long time.
Bacteria can produce toxins that can harm your digestive system and make you sick.
Some of the bacteria that can spoil condensed milk are E. coli, Listeria, and Salmonella, which can cause serious infections in some cases.
These bacteria can also affect the taste, smell, and appearance of the milk, making it sour, clumpy, or moldy.
It is quite uncommon to eat expired condensed milk, as most people check the date on the package and the quality of the product before using it.
However, some people may not notice the signs of spoilage or may use condensed milk that has been stored for too long in the pantry or fridge.
You can prevent or treat food poisoning from expired condensed milk by following these steps:
- Discard any condensed milk that is past its expiration date, has an off odor, flavor, or texture, or shows signs of mold.
- Store unopened condensed milk in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight, and refrigerate it after opening. Use it within 2-3 days of opening.
- If you have eaten expired condensed milk and feel sick, drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration, and avoid dairy products, caffeine, alcohol, and spicy foods until you recover.
- Seek medical attention if you have severe or persistent symptoms, such as bloody diarrhea, high fever, dehydration, or signs of infection.
Finally, remember, condensed milk is a delicious and versatile ingredient, but it can also spoil and cause food poisoning if not handled properly.
Always check the date and quality of the product before using it, and store it in the right conditions to extend its shelf life and prevent bacterial growth.