Short Answer: If you accidentally eat crayons, you may have some mild digestive upset, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or drooling, but it is usually not serious. However, if you have severe symptoms or choking, you should seek medical help.
Crayons are sticks of pigmented wax used for writing or drawing.
They are usually non-toxic and safe for children, but they are not meant to be eaten.
If you accidentally eat crayons, you may experience some mild digestive upset, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or drooling.
This is because your body is trying to expel the foreign substance that is not digestible.
Crayons are made with paraffin wax and color pigments.
Paraffin wax is a type of petroleum product that can act as a laxative if ingested in large amounts.
Color pigments are substances that give crayons their color.
Some pigments may contain chemicals or dyes that could be harmful if consumed in large quantities, but most crayons sold in stores are certified as non-toxic and safe by the Art and Creative Materials Institute (ACMI).
It is quite common to eat crayons, especially for curious kids who like to explore with their mouths.
However, crayons can also be a choking hazard, just like any toy that can fit into a child’s mouth.
You can usually treat crayon ingestion at home by giving your child some water and small snacks to help reduce the taste and upset stomach.
However, if your child is choking, has difficulty breathing, or shows signs of severe poisoning, such as seizures, confusion, or loss of consciousness, you should seek immediate medical attention and call 911.
To avoid accidental eating of crayons, you should supervise your child when they are using crayons and store them out of reach when not in use.
You should also buy crayons that are labeled as non-toxic and safe, and look for products with “The AP Seal” that certify them as such.
Finally, remember, crayons are for drawing, not for eating.
They can be fun and creative, but they can also cause problems if swallowed.
Be careful and enjoy your art!