Short Answer: If you accidentally eat a corn worm, you may get sick or have an allergic reaction.
Corn worm is the common name for the larva of the corn earworm moth, a pest that feeds on various crops, especially corn.
The corn worm is usually green, pink, brown, or black, with stripes and spines on its body.
If you accidentally eat a corn worm, you may experience some unpleasant symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal pain.
This is because the corn worm may contain bacteria, parasites, or toxins that can harm your digestive system.
Corn worm can also cause allergic reactions in some people, especially those who are sensitive to insect proteins.
Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include itching, swelling, hives, or difficulty breathing.
It is quite uncommon to eat a corn worm, as they are usually removed during the processing of corn products.
However, some people may encounter them in fresh corn ears, especially organic ones that are not treated with pesticides.
You can prevent or treat the effects of eating a corn worm by following these steps:
- Wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling corn ears.
- Inspect the corn ears for any signs of damage or infestation, such as holes, frass, or silk webbing. Discard any ears that look suspicious.
- Cut off and discard the tip of the corn ear, where the corn worm usually hides.
- Cook the corn ears thoroughly before eating them, as this can kill any remaining worms or pathogens.
- If you experience any symptoms of illness or allergy after eating corn, seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Finally, remember, corn worm is not a serious threat to your health, but it can ruin your appetite and enjoyment of corn.
By following some simple precautions, you can avoid this unpleasant surprise and enjoy your corn safely.