Short Answer: If you accidentally eat bad coleslaw, you may get food poisoning from the spoiled mayonnaise or vinegar in it.
Coleslaw is a type of cold salad, whose main ingredient is chopped and sliced raw cabbage, and its dressing is done through mayonnaise or vinegar.
It is a popular side dish for picnics, barbecues, and sandwiches.
If you accidentally eat bad coleslaw, you may experience food poisoning symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever.
This is because it contains mayonnaise or vinegar, which can spoil easily if not stored properly.
Mayonnaise and vinegar can harbor harmful bacteria such as Salmonella, E. coli, and Listeria, which can cause serious illness if ingested.
It is quite uncommon to eat bad coleslaw due to its sour taste and smell, which can alert you to its spoilage.
However, if you do eat bad coleslaw, you should seek medical attention immediately, especially if you have a weak immune system, are pregnant, or have a chronic condition.
You can also drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration and take over-the-counter medications to relieve your symptoms.
To avoid accidental eating of bad coleslaw, you should always store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator and consume it within three to four days of opening or making it.
You should also discard any coleslaw that has been left out at room temperature for more than two hours, or that shows signs of mold, discoloration, or foul odor.
Finally, remember, coleslaw is a delicious and healthy salad, but only if it is fresh and properly stored.
Always check the expiration date, appearance, and smell of coleslaw before eating it, and enjoy it with your favorite dishes.