Short Answer: If you accidentally drink moldy apple juice, you may get sick from the mycotoxins produced by the mold. You may have nausea, diarrhea, stomach aches, vomiting, or other gastrointestinal symptoms. You should drink water, eat bland foods, and seek medical help if needed.
Apple juice is a beverage made from the juice of fresh or processed apples.
It is a refreshing and healthy option when compared to sodas and other high-sugar drinks.
Apple juice contains natural sugar, soluble fiber, polyphenols, and vitamin C, which have various benefits for the body.
However, apple juice can also go bad or spoil due to improper storage, exposure to air, or contamination by mold.
If you accidentally drink moldy apple juice, you may experience nausea, diarrhea, stomach aches, vomiting, or other gastrointestinal symptoms.
This is because moldy apple juice may contain mycotoxins, which are harmful substances produced by some types of mold.
One of the most common molds found in apple juice is Penicillium expansum, which can produce a carcinogenic mycotoxin called patulin.
Patulin can damage the cells of the digestive tract and cause inflammation, ulceration, or bleeding. It can also affect the liver, kidneys, and immune system.
Patulin can be found in apples that have brown rot, a disease caused by Penicillium expansum.
The mold can grow on the apples during harvesting, storage, or processing.
Therefore, it is important to inspect the apples before juicing them and discard any that show signs of rot or mold.
It is quite uncommon to drink moldy apple juice, as most commercial apple juices are pasteurized, filtered, and preserved to prevent spoilage.
However, some homemade or organic apple juices may not undergo these processes and may have a shorter shelf life.
Therefore, it is advisable to check the expiration date, smell, color, and taste of the apple juice before drinking it.
If you notice any signs of spoilage, such as cloudiness, sediment, bubbles, or mold, do not drink the apple juice and throw it away.
You can treat mild symptoms of moldy apple juice ingestion by drinking plenty of water, eating bland foods, and taking over-the-counter medications for nausea or diarrhea.
However, if you experience severe or persistent symptoms, such as fever, blood in the stool, or dehydration, you should seek medical attention immediately, as you may have a serious infection or allergic reaction.
To avoid accidental drinking of moldy apple juice, you should store the apple juice in a cool and dry place, away from sunlight and heat.
You should also keep the apple juice in an airtight container and refrigerate it after opening.
You should consume the apple juice within two to three months of its expiration date, or within three days of opening it.
You should also wash and inspect the apples before juicing them and use a slow juicer to extract the juice, as it preserves more nutrients and prevents oxidation.
Finally, remember, apple juice is a delicious and nutritious drink, but it can also spoil and become moldy if not stored properly.
Therefore, you should always check the quality of the apple juice before drinking it and avoid consuming any that looks or smells suspicious.
If you drink moldy apple juice by mistake, you should drink water, eat bland foods, and seek medical help if needed.